Monday, January 20, 2014

The January Doldrums and Meet my Contributors!

Hey Ladies, today I'm so excited to share with you my blog contributors! Click here, and you can read all about them and see their lovely faces. I don't think that I have the best ideas ever or am the greatest cook, so I'm excited to have a couple gals who are very talented on board. Today I'm going to let Jessica take it away with a simple project that packs a lot of punch!

Is it just me or does mid-January feel… well, dull? Christmas decorations are down, Valentine’s hasn’t quite gone up and the house (ours, at least) is sparse and slightly sad. There is certainly a renewed spirit with the cleansing that happens post-New Year. Organizing, cleaning and just re-gathering. But alas – we needed a pick-me-up in our home. Something to add a bit more cheer and spontaneity and smiles. Seriously, smiles do a lot for our little family!


We started with a rather blank wall, a remnant picture frame that had previously been chalkboarded, and to be honest, by itself was a bit too small for this wall in our kitchen. I let Lyla, my oldest at 3 ½ yrs. old, help me choose from some inspiration pictures I found around Pinterest. After deciding on polka dots, I vetoed her decision of pink and chose a more long-lasting color based on our home’s current décor – BLACK! We ordered sixty 2 inch vinyl dots from Etsy seller, lishie.


The OCD side of me really REALLY wanted to measure out a perfect system of lined up dots, row by row. But deep down I knew that the quirkiness of random dots would really make me happy. So I went at it! Of the 60 dots I had, I placed the first 30 rather close together… putting them on the wall as my little heart desired. Once I got to the second sheet of dots I was approximately halfway down the wall so I started placing them more sporadically…. Similar to confetti dropping from a huge balloon that has just been popped (did I mention I super enjoy spontaneity!?) I still have around 10 dots left that I plan to use for another project.


With less than 15 minutes of my time and under $15, I now have a little wall in a little corner of my kitchen that gives me a BIG dose of happiness.


Ephesians 2:8-9 – “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works so that no one can boast.”

Jessica

See, I told you she was great! Now, I'm trying to decide where I can put some polka dots in my house!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment